soul-cystah

Locked in a power struggle with my ovaries since the early 90s.

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

This is the Tuesday of My Disappointment

Okay, many of us know that today is Groundhog Day, here in the US, a somewhat bizarre yet endearing tradition that I can hardly believe the rest of the globe hasn't jumped on the groundhog bandwagon. For some reason known only to me, I look forward to Groundhog Day from January on. Maybe because my first boyfriend's birthday was on Groundhog Day, but that is a different matter entirely.

So, have I mentioned that we live in a house we can ill-afford, but we do happen to have 10ish acres of land that belong to us and us alone. And, currently, on that 10ish acres of land resides our very own GROUNDHOG! who has set up residence in a small brushpile at the edge of our back yard. As you might imagine, the very existence of this groundhog set the wheels a-turnin' in mah mind. And here is what I came up with:

Enough of this Punxsutawney crap already. The groundhog has taken up squatters' rights with us now for at least a year, so I figure that he/she (we haven't determined the sex of the groundhog) owes us some entertainment. So, the kids (must note that I was mildly surprised that the public school is failing dismally in its Groundhog Education, neither kid knows shit about this day of days) and I would happily ensconce ourselves upon the deck (well beyond the reach of an irritated groundhog) and dh (he's on his own) could Gently roust out the groundhog and we could determine FOR OURSELVES whether said hog saw or did not see his/her shadow. But alas, T promptly vetoed this plan because of a) the groundhog wouldn't care for it one little bit; b) groundhogs can be mean; and c) groundhogs can have rabies. I do not know if I believe him on either of those last two counts, I think he may just be Lazy.

While I realize that this is probably for the best, I still can't help but feel a little sad--yet another instance of how I excel in the creative development phase but suck at the actual execution. Wouldn't it have been fabulous to have had our own Groundhog Day celebration (okay, so maybe the hog would've disagreed)? And so, that is how we at Casa Cystah again have to take Punxsutawney Phil's word WRT length of winter this year.

Sigh. Life is full of these little disappointments.

2 Comments:

  • At February 3, 2005 at 1:34 AM, Blogger DeadBug said…

    You really and truly have your own ground hog?! I am v. jealous. We don't have them here. Fell in love with the marmots at Glacier N.P. last summer and wasted about two rolls of film on one very fat, indolent one that seemed to be posing.

    --Bugs

     
  • At February 27, 2005 at 11:56 AM, Blogger Jody said…

    I might have gone out and prodded the groundhog myself. I'm just that perverse. But the rabies thing...I can see my husband hauling that out, and my not QUITE believing him, but having to stand back because of it anyway. And then being annoyed at him for being such a worry-wart.

    We subscribe to both "My Big Backyard" and "Ladybug" (highly recommend them, available evidence suggests it's v. exciting for kids to get their own magazines each month) and February's issue of MBB was All About The Groundhog.

    I used to work with a woman from Punxatawny. Really. She was cool.

    (I'm sorry, that was a joke. Not clear, though, is it? Fawning over the groundhog-connected? Oh well.)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home