soul-cystah

Locked in a power struggle with my ovaries since the early 90s.

Monday, August 16, 2004

Life in a normal size

So most of last year's fall clothes are maternity. They're not bad, as far as maternity clothes go, but they don't really do much for me now. And, um, evidently here in the midwest we decided to go directly from spring to fall, as seasons go. Which is not necessarily a bad thing. Just different. But if we were going to be skipping seasons, I'd just as soon we skip the winter one. But I digress . . .

Anyway, I find myself in need of fall clothes. Last fall's clothes were maternity. The fall before that's clothes are of the plus-sized variety. I no longer require either of those kind of clothes. WOO HOO!

I now require normal sized clothes.

God, when you are normal sized, clothes shopping is such fun. Don't get me wrong, shopping for maternity clothes was fun too (especially given that as a recovering infertile, it was a pleasure I thought I'd have to forgo), but maternity clothes are ever-so-vaguely cut similarly to plus-size clothes. That fact alone makes it just a smidgen less enjoyable for a formerly plus-sized girl.

It's still such a novelty for me to try on clothes and look good (relatively speaking, of course), in them. I still have to remind myself a) not to go to the plus sized department and b) that I don't have to avoid looking in the mirror. I'll look decent in the stuff I'm trying on. I don't have to worry about needing a bigger size, because yes, indeedy, there is a bigger size available, should I require it. That has not always been true for me.

I can, in fact, buy trendy clothes if I wish to. (Except for low rise pants. Reference earlier blogging). I do not, however, need to feel confined to what Lane Bryant considers trendy. I have clothing options, for Christ sake. Options--say what??! Imagine that, those odd things that clothing manufacturers think fat girls don't need. Pregnant girls don't get that many clothing options either, for whatever reason.

All these mighty big options (such as shirts that don't tie in the back, dresses without a high waist, pants in more than one length) are gonna take some getting used to. Do other women really take this shit for granted?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home