soul-cystah

Locked in a power struggle with my ovaries since the early 90s.

Thursday, August 26, 2004

May I take your order?

Throughout my pregnancy with C., my daughter, A. (age 6, adopted from China) was fascinated by the process. She eagerly awaited her new brother right along with me. A. had lots of pregnancy vs adoption questions and I answered them all to the best of my ability. She knows her own and her brothers adoption stories, and she talks about when she will have/adopt her own kids.

Lately, we've had several conversations that go a little something like this:

A: "Yesterday at the restaurant, Granny & I saw twins. Twin babies. And Granny said, 'Oh Avery, how would you like twins?' And, mom, I've thought about this and I've decided that I would. I would like twins. Twin brothers. Plus, you named N and you named me, and Dad named C. It's only fair that I get to name a baby now. It's my turn. I get a turn."

me: (mentally wondering when someone explains infertility to a kid.) "Well, that is a nice thought. I hope that we get to adopt another kiddo someday, if we have the opportunity and enough money. Probably just one more though, and almost definitely not twins."

A: "Well, I only want boys. And, I want you to grow the babies in your tummy, like you did with Cole. I don't want to use our money for another adoption, remember we're saving that money for Disney World and for visiting China someday."

me: (Now puzzling over why she thinks the "adoption fund" and the "vacation fund" are one and the same. Oh wait, that's 'cause they are. and they're both broke. Make executive decision to withhold this information.) "Ummmm . . . You're quite the little material girl." (Vaguely feeling as though I've missed teachable opportunity here, but my sleep-deprived brain can't quite wrap around just what that opportunity is exactly.)

A: "I'm going to name this new guy Quidditch."

me: "Well, remember if a baby grows in your tummy, you don't get to pick boy or girl when the baby grows in your tummy. And, you don't really get to pick if you want twins, even if you grow them in your own tummy. You don't really have much say over what grows in your tummy. Granny was just teasing you. Anyway, if we did have twins, where would we put them? We don't have room for any more car seats either. After all, the back seat of the jeep is completely full with the three of you guys."

A: "Oh good. That means we can finally get a minivan too. I've always wanted one of those. I get the back seat. I want a green one. Dakota has a green one, that's the kind I want. Quidditch could be for a girl. Just a different middle name."

me: Speechless (mentally concluding that somewhere this talk has taken a horribly wrong turn, feeling as if I have failed to accurately convey life's priorities, decide no comment is the best policy.)


Ya want fries with that?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home