soul-cystah

Locked in a power struggle with my ovaries since the early 90s.

Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Dr. Weird, I presume

Since I tend to go on about my pcos and I do plan on blogging about at least some of the more significant events in my pregnancy (just in case I ever get 'round to starting/completing C's baby book), I want to provide a brief background on why I call Dr. Weird by that well-earned name. Well, at times, he could've been referred to as Dr. FatBastard, but I decided I want to save that name in case I have a more deserving doctor in the future. Now, you may wonder why I chose to go to such a flaky ob. 'Cause this is the only ob practice in town? that's why.

So, in bulleted format, here are just a few of the many weirdness examples:

  • "Let's not focus on a 'due date' per se. Try not to think that the baby will be here on a particular day. Think of it as a best-estimate"~when asked by me what my due date was. OK fucker let's not get all new age-y, when's my damn due date.
  • "If you want a second opinion, then I will set one up for you."~when asked by me if my high blood pressure was a sign of impending pre-eclampsia. I can go for that doc, so set it up then.
  • "I decided you didn't need it."~when I asked when/with whom my second opinion appt was arranged. Well, okay dude. It was your idea.
  • "I don't know the results of your blood work from last week, because my partner, Dr. V set that up."~um, so I have a different chart for each of you docs, even though you're in the same practice and it's mandatory that I spend quality time with both of you? That's a dumb-ass thing to do, if you ask me.
  • "Look at that baby go." Said in a rather admiring tone of voice while watching a 14 week old Cletus the Fetus on u/s. This was rather endearing, but other shit later cancelled the endearing part out.
  • "Don't eat any ham. I had a patient one time, she gained 5 lbs from eating one ham sandwich. Ham is very, very bad."
  • "What do you want me to do, talk in code?"~when I told him that he was making me feel a little doomed about my pregnancy. Okay, so I was a tad hormonal. He's an ob for christsakes, he should be used to that kind of shit.

So, there you go. What the hell else could his name be?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home