soul-cystah

Locked in a power struggle with my ovaries since the early 90s.

Tuesday, October 26, 2004

SnotFace, look what I've done

SnotFace, look what I've done!

No, really. I think I'm onto something here. Multi-tasking: that is the key to motherhood.

Have I mentioned before that each week A (in 1st grade) brings home a reader from school? No? Well, then, A's teacher sends a new "weekly reader", if you will, home each Monday. None of these are very long, just simple stories about Pig escaping from his pen and Cow feeling sad and Cat going on a trip and Dog not wanting to take a bath. We are to read them each and every night, sign a note attesting to the completion of such, and return note & reader to school on Friday. A loooooves this. She pretty much harasses me from suppertime to bedtime each night: itstimetoreadmyreader canwereadmyreader iwannareadmyreader itstimetoreadmyreader ineedtoreadmyreader canwereadmyreadernow. And on and on and on and on. Don't misunderstand: we are happy that she has this love of reading. In fact, as something of a bookworm myself, I'm thrilled to see her so excited about her reader. Its . . . just . . . that . . . a grown woman can only hear about the exploits of Dog and Cow and Pig and Cat so many times before her brain morphs into a soft, squishy polenta and tries to make an escape out her right ear.

I have no one to blame but myself, really. You'd never know it from this particular entry, but I love to read to kids. When A was an infant, I read to her incessantly. We had all those Boynton on Board books, with Barnyard Dance being one of our favorites. It's just that now I like it when we read our chapter book (currently we're reading about Charlie Bone) instead of the board book stuff. So, I've been worried that baby C isn't getting enough reading-to. Because what with listening to the reader and our nightly chapter-book chapter and the spelling of the spelling words, I'm kind of tired of kiddie lit. And I feel much angst over this. I don't want C to be an illiterate jr high drop out all because his mother was too lazy to read more Boynton on Board.

And then.

And. Then.

This weekend I stumbled upon a solution. It's so simple, can't believe I didn't think of this sooner. A? never can get enough of reading aloud. C? needs more reading-to. I've put A to work reading the board books to C! This has resulted in two happy children and one less stressed-out parent who is not as worried about raising illiterate children. Ah, these are the days, man, these are the days.

I am mothering genius! Now am thinking of starting own parenting magazine, dedicated to lazy parenting methods (not to include things such as bottle-propping, am very much against things of that nature). Am mentally spending profits of magazine, even as you read this.

1 Comments:

  • At October 26, 2004 at 1:32 PM, Blogger Cursing Mama said…

    I pulled the very same shenanigan on Gameboy and Princess! Funnily enough Princess is a much better and more prolific reader than Gameboy was at 9.

    I would totally read your Lazy Parent Magazine! I have a few lazy tips of my own. I used to get the kids to help sort silverware out of the dishwasher – they thought it was a big fun puzzle. I have pre-printed directions on what to pack for a weekend at Grandmas which I pull out for them to pack themselves. I even have directions on how to clean a bathroom – By Mom! I am a total lazy parent!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home